Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Missing Tooth....

On August 9, 2010, my son lost his first tooth. It was bittersweet for me. I had so many mixed emotions running through my head. Being a "Step" parent is really a lot harder than one could ever imagine. When I first started dating my husband, I have to confess that I was scared shitless, not because of the fact that I was falling head over heels in love with him, but because of the fact that if his son didn't like or care for me at all....his daddy was going to be going bye bye and leaving me broken hearted. I didn't really need to worry though, because his son loved the crap out of me and he still does to this day. The more days that go by, the more and more I am starting to feel like a real mom, but I digress....

So, here we are at my brother's house having family dinner for my mom's birthday...When Harley is eating his second piece of corn.....he takes a bite and then stops and looks at me with sheer terror in his eyes...at first I started to freak out and then he showed me his tooth...is was loose. I grabbed his cheeks and told him that his tooth was going to come out. I was so excited, my little boy had his first milestone experience with me...I told him to stay right there and I ran out to my car as fast as I could to get....can you guess? Oh, yea, it was the camera. Of course, everyone was laughing at me, but what could I do....it was MY first milestone experience.
Dave and I then took Harley into the bathroom to get a better look at it and try to get it out. Dave first tried to get it out, but his fingers were just a little too big to get a hold of that little tooth. Of course, I had to video tape the attempt. Just for all of you, it is a little nerve racking...well, it was for me.




After the second attempt from Dave, Harley said that he wanted to try himself and with one tug and twist it was out. He had done it himself. I was so proud and so was he. He went running out of the bathroom to show everyone that he had finally lost his first tooth.

He kept saying "I am so glad that I finally lost that tooth, because now I am a big boy."

He wanted to tell everyone. First we called Papa Johnson....he told him all about loosing his first tooth. He told Papa all about it and then ended up saying "Now, I am like you Papa, but with hair." I laughed so hard, I almost had a little bit of an accident. Harley knows how to say the funniest things.

I am so very proud of Harley and his ability to take on new things with such passion. I hope that one day I will not be so paranoid and freakish...what I am saying?? I will always be this way, but at least he knows that I will DO ANYTHING to keep him safe and that I love him very very much. Oh, yea, the tooth fair came that night and left a $5.00 bill for Harley. When he woke up in the morning he came over to my bed and touched my arm until I woke my sorry butt up, then with a big "toothless" girn he showed me the money and said "the tooth fairy came last night!!!"

2 comments:

  1. that is a great big mile stone!! good job on getting it out on your own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps... did the tooth fair have a roller coaster?

    ReplyDelete